Are your customers repeatedly asking for similar chemical content data? Rather than responding to each request individually, you can post your material data on Toxnot Shared Materials (also called Public Materials) for your customers to easily access and pull into their own transparency reporting. This is also a great way to respond to an LP 50 request from a customer. They can be shared publicly or just with interested customers. This article will walk you through making your own material within Toxnot.
Create your Material
The first step is to find or create your product/material data the way you would normally in Toxnot. If you already have the product/material existing in Toxnot, just skip to the next step. If you are creating a new product/material in Toxnot, you'll want to use some of our other resources to get that added. Read here on our introduction to importing material data and find import templates here.
Publish your Material Information
Once your material data is complete, you are ready to publish your material. From your product or materials library, select the material you would like to publish, and select Toxnot Shared Materials in the Publish dropdown:
Next, select the type of report you would like to publish. Substance Inventory lists out all the disclosed chemicals in your BOM and their percent by weight. For an example, you can see our Toxnot Example Material. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) option publishes the MSDS you have uploaded. The REACH/RoHS Statement will publish the REACH/RoHS Statement for your material.
Substance Inventories have additional options:
- Columns to Publish lets you pick which BOM columns you include in the material declaration. By default, Level, Part Name, CASRN, and Product % By Weight are selected.
- Disclosure Threshold shows what level you have checked the substances in your material to.
You can control who can view the material as well. Use the viewing options to publish publicly so potential customers can find your material, or only send the material data to specific people. If you choose to publish only to specific people, you will be prompted to add their e-mail address(es) directly.
Substance Inventory also has three options available to control how your formulation is reported:
- Mark all substances as proprietary masks all of your substances as roprietary data, which prevents other Toxnot users from seeing identifying chemical information such as chemical name or registry number. Other users can still see GreenScreen List Translator scores and RSL data.
- Convert all weights and percentages to ranges transforms your formulation's percentages to relative ranges. For example, an exact value of "9.5%" is obfuscated to "5-10%".
- Convert BOM to a basic inventory of substances simplifies your BOM hierarchy, removing the material levels and distilling the product down into its component substances. This option is useful when you which to remove material and supplier information which should not be shared.
Finally, if you have the compliance subscription, Substance Inventory provides you with an opportunity to publish your compliance data. You can publish data for California Proposition 65, Conflict Materials, REACH, and RoHS with just the click of a button!
Next, update the publishing information about your product. If you have completed any of the publishing information in the product summary data, it will automatically flow into this page. Otherwise, you can complete it here. The data shown here is exactly how it will be displayed within the Shared Materials record in Toxnot.
After that step, the publish now button will make the material live in the system. Once you publish, you will be taken to your publications page where you can view and delete your current published data. Other users will be able to find your material in the Search Shared Materials.
Shared Material Updates
Once you have published your shared materials, your customers will be able to pull your material data into their Toxnot library to make reports and evaluate their products. If you update a material that is in their library, they will get notified via email to go update the material in their products.
They can then refresh the data in their library to your newest information.
Need more help or have questions about Shared Materials? Reach out to us clicking the black button on the lower right-hand corner and writing us a message or email email@example.com.